Saturday, December 27, 2008

And the journey begins...

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I have been able to post, but I am finally getting around to it! My father's been in the hospital for quite some time, so it's been hard to sit down for a good few minutes and post. But I have a lot to tell about Honduras, and would love to share it all with you!

There is so much to tell, and I'm haven't been exactly sure how to share it effectively. After much thought on the matter, I have decided that the only way for you to see Honduras through my eyes is through my journal. It's personal, raw, and completely how I saw things each day. I'll post one or two day's entries at a time on here, and try to put pictures with it as best I can. I will also put the link to a LOT more pics at the end of this entry so you can enjoy more at your own leisure. Thanks for letting me share this with all of you... it has totally changed my life!!


Day 1: 12/12/08

I am now in Honduras! We flew in today, and left Cleveland at 3:30 A.M. It was painful, but totally worth it! Jimmy drove us to the airport, and our plane left at 9:35 A.M. The flight was only three and a half hours, so it really wasn't that bad at all.

The first place I got put was next to a really nice kid about my age. He has a friend who lives just outside of San Pedro Sula, so he was vacationing there. We had a nice little chat until I was asked to move so that a family could sit together. I didn't mind, but got put between two Hispanic men, which was kind of awkward. Thankfully, Prof. Lamb saw me and had me moved. I was more relieved than I thought I would be!

I spent the next hour getting to know Eric on the flight. He is such a cool kid... we talked so much about Christian media, and how we saw ourselves in five years. It was a really good time.

When we landed, Paul Dyer was there to meet us and pick us up. (And holding this sign for us!)





The kids from Hogar Esparanza (the orphanage) also made us the most beautiful sign to greet us! It was precious!!

After packing up in the vans, we went to a really nice restaurant to eat.










The food was muy ricco! I had juga (a flat bread-like root vegetable baked with garlic, butter, and spices... basically a huge crouton!), guacamoe, rice with pico de gallo, fried plaintains, and the best chicken I've ever eaten! Oh, and also an empanada with beans. We ended it all with fresh fruit cups. Needless to say, we were absolutely stuffed! I couldn't even eat dinner tonight after having such a meal.

The pastor for the Bordo (poorest area in Honduras) also met us and ate with us. She's extremely nice, and is convined that her English is as good as ours. She's really sweet!!

Tomorrow we'll be going down to the Bordo to hand out our hygiene kits. I know it will be hard to see how destitute the people are, but also very rewarding to be able to bring hope to them.

We'll also be handing out fliers for a children's crusade we'll be putting on the next day. I'm so excited to spend tiem loving on these kids who have nothing. I just know God willl work through us to help these people.

Now I am sitting in our comfy bed, listening to the graduation party being thrown right outside our window. They dont have glass in the windows here, so the music is a bit loud. It really doesn't bother me though... it's just nice to relax after a long day of traveling. I love the view of the mountains from our window and balcony/terrace. For a place of such poverty, it is very beautiful.












Well, we're going to bed early tonight. I am so ready to have some sleep! Tomorrow's another big, exciting day to be ready for. So until then... goodnight!


Day 2: 12/13/08

Our first full day in Honduras. It was long, but really great!

We woke up early, and after getting ready the group met outside and had devotion. Eric had devotion today, and talked about being revolutionary in the way we approach Christianity. It was very though-provoking.

After breakfast, we loaded ourselves down with hygiene kits and climbed into the vans to head for the Bordo. This is the poorest section of Honduras. The people live on the river in houses made of whatever garbage they can find. Many of the people have no shoes, and all of them are hungry and needy. They use the same water to drink, bathe, wash clothing, and use the bathroom in. All in all, it is a rough place to live.

When we arrived, the children flocked to the small church house, ready for us to see them. Whent hey found out we were bringing hygiene kits to their houses, they followed from place to place.




We probably walked one to two miles handing out the kits, and seemed to reach very few. As we went, we prayed for those who were sick, and enjoyed the children's company. At one point, an elderly lady stopped with us to talk. I don't speak very much Spanish, but she told us her heart is sick. However, she greatly emphasized that God is always good, no matter what.



One little boy was very precious. He lived with his mother and two sisters, and was about two years old. When we stopped to pray healing over his mother, he began to show me his candy, and the few belongings he had. It reminded me so much of Brayden, and the joy he has in showing me all of his toys. This little boy is a precious gift from God, and it broke my heart to see him and his family live in such poverty.

Two hours later, we loaded the vans again in search of lunch. We had baleadas, which are think flat bread tortillas with beans, cheese, and a very sour cream. I tried chorizzo (sausage) on mine, and it was very good!







When we finished eating, we loaded up our clown bus yet again, stopped in at the hotel for just a minute (un momento!), and then headed to the YWAM (Youth With a Mission) headquarters. We are being allowed to borrow it this week for our ministry since they are out of town.

After this, we were met with a ton of food in the kitchen. We took the woven bags of beans and rice, and separated them into smaller bags for the families on the Bordo. We also put in pasta, oatmeal, condiments, sugar, and butter. We were striving for 176 bags, and ended up with quite a bit extra. This was a surprise to us, since everything had been measured out so carefully. God really blessed us, and it was definitely a miracle!




When the bags were sorted, I wandered over to where Paul's (the missionary) kids were. He has four children. Anna is eight, Wesley is six, Eli is four, and Kaden is barely two. We spent an hour or so just coloring and playing, and had the best time. At one point, we found a lime tree, and Paul's uncle Jim cut one up for Kaden to try. His little face was hilarious! He puckered up and then went at it for more. So funny!









When all the work was done, we met together for praise and worship, and a short devotion. It was powerful, and really great.

After dinner, we all hung out. Prof. Lamb told me about his chef days in the Marine Corp, and explained how to make a lot of dishes properly. The man is seriously a genius, and has such a deep heart for God. I really enjoy talking to him!





Now we are home, showered and more than ready for bed. It's been a gut-wrenching, yet joyful day. Ironic, huh? Today as I was praying, God spoke something really neat into my heart. I was praying for Dad, and reflecting on how hard his heart surgery had been. As I was doing this, I felt like God said: "I was never meant to walk right beside you. I want to carry you instead." This really blessed my heart. Even when I am totally defeated, He is strong enough to take it totally upon Himself.

When I was reading my Bible this morning, I came to Isaiah 40. Among the many verses, I lvoe vs. 27-31:

"Have you never heard? Have you never understood? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth. He never grows weak or weary. No one can measure the depths of His understanding. He gives power to the weak, and strength to the powerless. Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion; but those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint."


Tomorrow we'll be going back to the Bordo for church, and a children's crusade. I'm so excited... it will be a lot of fun. Until tomorrow!

No comments: