Monday, December 15, 2008

Hola de Honduras!!!

Hola!! For those of you who are wondering, we are in Honduras now, and having a fantastic time. The weather is great, the food is even better, and we have spent time with over 1,000 kids in the past three days. Crazy!!

I will try to fill you all in on the details later, but for now here is what we´ve done in short type.

Friday: We flew in, breezed through customs (Praise Jesus!!), ate at a wonderful restaurant, and finally crashed at our hotel, the Villa Nuria. Our rooms are clean and simple, but seem like a dream after a hard day at work. We get a little hot water, and take turns with it every day. Let me tell you... a few cold showers has you missing home!

Saturday: We woke up early, had some breakfast and loaded the vans for the Bordo. For those of you who are not familiar with this term, it is the most impoverished area in Honduras, with hundreds of families living in shacks made of garbage. We took our hygiene kits, and walked about a mile each way giving them out, and praying for the people. There was time to play with the children, and enjoy some time together.

In the afternoon, we headed over to the YWAM (youth with a mission) house, and were met with many donations of food. We sorted through hundreds of pounds of rice and beans, as well as sugar, oatmeal, etc. God blessed us abundantly through this. We were supposed to have 179 bags of food for the people on the Bordo, and somehow ended up with about 200 with extra beans and rice galore. Praise God!!

After the food bags were ready, I got to spend time playing with Paul´s (our missionary host) kids. We colored, played tag, and had a lot of fun. There´s is nothing more fun than having kids cuddling in your lap, and playing make believe!!

Sunday: We headed back to the Bordo and put on a children´s crusade for the kids. We played games, put on a skit, taught a Bible lesson, painted faces, and spent time loving on the kids. I learned how to paint estrayas quite well!! (stars!) After we had the crusade, we handed out the food baskets to the parents, and left for our next project.

In the evening, we visited a local church, and led the service for them. There were about 700 people in attendance, and we had a great time worshiping together. We sang with them, danced with them, and prayed for them. The Spirit really moved, and we saw many set free.

Today!: This morning, we put on another children´s crusade for another local COG. We had about 400 to 500 children. Once again, we played games, painted faces, and sang songs with Bible stories. I have never danced to silly songs in front of that many little bodies, but it was a lot of fun!

This afternoon, we went to one of the local orphanages and brought Christmas with us. It took me about two hours to sort out the gifts again after they had passed through customs, but Mrs. Debbie worked hard with me. We got it all sorted, all in the backpacks, and handed out to our trip kids to give to the children. It was such a blessing to spend that time with them, and see their faces as they opened their gifts!!


Tomorrow we will be visiting a state-run orphanage, and have already been warned that it will be a devastating sight to see. Hardly any of these children know Jesus, and many of the babies are dying due to lack of proper attention. We are going to bring them Christmas as well, and to love on them for a few hours. In the late afternoon, we´ll be visiting the market and doing a little looking around as well.


This trip so far has been such a blessing to all of our hearts. God has really made a way for us, and it is evident in everything that has happened on this trip. First, we made it through customs without being stopped. 30 people RARELY get through without some questioning. They believed that we were tourists, and let us through... without even opening the suitcase of Bibles. Then there was the portions of the food we bagged for the poor. We shouldn´t have had that much food... it was carefully ordered, and portioned accordingly. Wow! We have also come across wonderful interpreters, as well as people who have blessed us with food and catering at special prices.

I would also like to say that Honduran food is by far the BEST food I have ever eaten. American food is crummy compared to theirs! Everyday I eat fresh fruit and toast for breakfast, and for the other meals, typically beans and rice, fried plantains, (my personal favorita!), cream, refried beans, tostadas or tortillas, avacado, pollo y carne (chicken and beef), and much, much more! I feel as if I will definitely gain weight by the time I get home!

The people I´m with are amazing as well. Our group leaders are Jimmy, William, Debbie, and Kim. They have literally become our Momma´s and Daddy´s, and we are learning so much from them. William especially is teaching us how to look at the world from a different perspective, and to be the hands and feet of Jesus. It is such a blessing, and I feel that I am growing more and more each day.

Well, my time limit on the computer will be up soon. I hope you are all well, and having a great week. I will try to update more as I can. I love you all mucho mucho!!

No comments: